Tandem Security Systems use advanced electronic components, electric fencing installations and access control systems to produce effective and durable security systems which could be tailor made to suit the varied requirements of the corporate clientele.
The installation of electric fences in South Africa is indeed crucial for ensuring the safety and security of residential and industrial properties. Electric fences act as the first line of defense, preventing intruders from gaining unauthorized access to the premises. The alarm feature of these fences serves as an effective deterrent, alerting residents when a breach occurs.
Energizers used to power the fences are non-lethal but provide intruders with a formidable shock. This serves as an additional layer of protection, making potential trespassers think twice before attempting to breach the premises. By integrating electric fences into a comprehensive security system, property owners can significantly enhance their overall security measures.
Tandem Security Systems install electric fences for corporate as well as domestic property owners, to suit their specific needs and budgets.
Certificate of Compliance:
This document was published in December 2011. It is reviewed regularly and the latest document, SANS 10222-3: 2023 was published recently. According to Act No.85 of 1993 all electric fence installations must comply with the requirements of
SANS 10222-3. It also requires that an accredited person, defined as an electric fence installer, issues an Electric Fence Certificate on the form supplied. Note that every installer should be in possession of the latest document. The document is obtainable from SABS, Groenkloof.
Clients must pay special the following:
- Energizers: The energizer must comply wit legislation. Old energizers are often non-compliant.
- Lightning arrestors should be installed. For dual-zone energizers two is needed.
- Three dedicated earth spikes must be installed, 1.2 meters apart.
- No HT cable should be installed in the ground. All connections to earth spikes must be inspectable.
- The fence earth spikes must be 30 meters apart. The HT cable leading to the earth spikes must be in conduit.
- Brackets must be at least 3 meters apart. At pillars further apart exception is allowed.
- Corner brackets must have stays where necessary.
- Brackets should be secured to the structure. Tandem Security use coach screws and not nail in anchors.
- Sliding gates must be electrified using gate contacts.
- Sign boards must be at least 10 meters apart. Corners and gates must have additional warning signs.
- Installation near power lines is explained in SANS 10222-3
- The distance of sections must not exceed 50 meters.
- The lowest live wire in public areas should not be lower than 1500mm. Refer to SANS 10222-3 for the definition of public areas.
- Installers must be able to provide proof that they are authorized to issue a Certificate of Compliance. Their EFSI number can be confirmed with Department of Labour.
- Clients must know that they can report installers to Department of Labour. The Chief Inspector can cancel his accreditation if necessary.
- For more detail consult SABS 10222:3.
Every Electric Fence installer should have the latest document at hand. It is obtainable from SABS.
SANS 10222-3 requires all electric fences, old and new, to be certified by a department of labour approved electric fence installer. You can ask your installer to provide their EFSI number and validate this on the Department of Labour website. Misconduct can be reported which may result in the suspension of the license of the installer.
TANDEM SECURITY OFFERS OUR CLIENTS
Wall top electric fences from 8 line up to 12 line fences.
Consumers often only realize the true value of a security system after an incident has occurred. Using a surveillance system for detection of motion within a property is no longer an option. One needs to be able to detect and identify the intruder. Only then is the surveillance system of any real value.
Let’s answer some of the FAQ’s
Can an electric fence kill my cat or dog?
No. Electric fences use direct current (DC) that is non- lethal. That is why legislation is in place to keep electric fences safe.
When does an electric fence give an alarm?
When the live wires are shorted out. That is why a professional company is needed to do the installation.
What is the role of Department Labour in South Africa regarding electric fences?
Department Labour is the Official Regulator. They are responsible for the Health and Safety aspects thereof.
What is the role of The South African Electric Fence Association?
SAEFIA is officially recognized by Department Labour to represent the electric fence installers of South Africa. If an installer is registered with SAEFIA, the consumer can be assured that they can report misconduct if necessary. SAEFIA will not prosecute any installers but are able to make recommendations to Department Labour in that respect. They are there to assist the installers regarding aspects in the industry. The public can also find out from SAEFIA if an installer is registered to issue a COC. Note that registration numbers starting with a T, is no longer valid. The registration numbers must start with EFSI.
Why should clients insist that the installer they plan to use is registered with SAEFIA?
They are assured that SAEFIA can discipline the member if he is found to be guilty of gross negligence. He will be forced to rectify the problem. If not, he will be reported to Department Labour and will be prosecuted.
What warranty do Tandem Security Systems offer on electric fences?
The warranty on our workmanship is one year. The warranty on the material used will be found on the website of the manufacturing company.
What do I do if my fence needs attention after my warranty expired?
You are welcome to still call us and we can attend to the problem.
What is the cost to attend to the problem?
To cover our cost to move a team from another location to where the work needs to be done we have to charge a service call. The service call includes half an hours labour. Because our staff is well trained, they normally rectify the problem within minutes. If it seems to take a while, we will provide the client with a quote first. If the client agrees, an hourly rate will apply. Material will be charged separately.
I am selling my house and need a COC. What is the cost if the fence was not installed by TSS?
- There is an inspection fee to be paid. If the fence complies with regulations, only the cost to issue the certificate and inspection fee will be payable. If there is work to be done to get the fence compliant, there will be no extra call out fee. Only material and labour will be applicable. There will be cost involved to issue the certificate. Clients will receive it in printed format. The COC will be issued after payment.
For how long is the Certificate of Compliance valid?
The Certificate is valid for two years. The certificate is transferable to a next owner within two years.